Did you know that Equinox is one of the most exclusive fitness clubs in the world and one of the best gyms in London? They are known for their luxury fitness club locations in major cities and the different celebrities they cater to. Stars from Tyra Banks to Paris Hilton have been known to visit one or more of their locations, and members typically pay over $3,000 annually.
This fitness club offers everything you can think of, from a spa to fitness classes and personal training. Their parent company owns other popular brands like Pure Yoga, Blink Fitness, Equinox Hotels, and Soul Cycle. They are one of the few fitness facilities at the top of the food chain, but are they doing as well as they look?
The coronavirus came with several uncertainties that led to losses due to the temporary closure of the health club, but Equinox has since recovered. They now offer a mobile application that provides members exclusive access to on-demand and live classes.
If you want to find out more about Equinox, keep reading.
This article will discuss Equinox statistics from revenue to location statistics and trends. So, let’s get right to it, shall we?
General Equinox Statistics
- Equinox was founded in 1991 and has its headquarters in New York.
- The Related Companies is Equinox’s parent company.
- Equinox opened its first standalone health club, E by Equinox, in 2017.
- Equinox has other subsidiaries like Blink, SoulCycle Equinox Hotels, Precision Run, and Pure Yoga.
- There are currently six E by Equinox health clubs and training studios in Madison Avenue, St James, Greenwich, Columbus Circle, San Francisco, and Hudson Yards.
- The E by Equinox membership goes for $26,000 a year/.
- According to Equinox, an average member attends the gym about four times a week.
- Equinox started selling stationary bikes that streamed live and on-demand SoulCycle classes in 2020.
- Equinox introduced its $39.99 per month mobile Application, Equinox +, that offers access to instructors from Equinox, HeadStrong, and SoulCycle in March 2020.
- Equinox has opened over 15 SoulCycle Outside studios since the pandemic.
- Equinox offers a wide selection of classes, like Pilates, spinning, yoga, barre, Bootcamp, boxing, and martial arts.
- Most Equinox locations have saunas, steam rooms and spas.
- Equinox has its training institute called Equinox Fitness Training Institute (ETFI).
Equinox Location Statistics
- Equinox currently has over 100 fitness clubs.
- There are three equinox clubs in London, 5 in Boston, 3 in Canada, 4 in Chicago, 4 in Connecticut, 5 in Florida, 41 in New York, 2 in New Jersey, 1 in Michigan, 9 in Northern California, 23 in Southern California, 5 in Texas, and 4 in Washington DC.
Equinox Employee Statistics
- Equinox currently has over 15,000 employees, with over 4,000 being trainers.
- Of this employee number, 54% are men, while 46% are women.
- The average Equinox employee salary is over $25,000.
- Over 50% of Equinox employees earn between $25k to 4ok per year.
- Employee turnaround time in Equinox is over three years.
- Over 60% of Equinox employees have at least a bachelor’s degree, making it the common top degree level.
- Kinesiology is the most common major amongst Equinox employees (18%), followed by business and communication.
- Over 50% of Equinox employees are between the ages of 20 to 30 years, while less than 40% are over 30 years.
- Equinox personal trainers are ranked using the five tiers based on their education at EFTI.
- Tier 1 trainers must complete at least 70 hours of coursework at EFTI.
- Trainers have to work towards completing 220 hours of coursework at EFTI to earn a Precision Nutrition certification.
- The highest personal training tier is called Tier X, and trainers in this rank must have degrees in Kinesiology and complete at least 270 hours of coursework at EFTI.
Equinox App Statistics
- According to Allied Market Research, connected and online fitness is estimated to become a $60 billion industry within the next five years.
- Equinox received funding from Silver Lake, a private equity firm, for its Equinox + digital application.
- The Equinox app’s original name, Various, was removed in early 2021 and replaced by Equinox +.
- The Equinox app can curate classes for users and track their health metrics.
- Members can stream from the Equinox + app on their mobile device, tablet, Apple TV, Google TV, web, and Fire TV.
- The Equinox app on the Google Play store has been downloaded over 50,000 times.
Equinox Member Statistics
- Equinox members pay at least $100 per month regardless of the location.
- Equinox’s most expensive gym locations require members to spend $300 to $500 monthly.
- To access multiple clubs in different locations, members pay over $200 per month.
- Equinox offers prospective members a one-day free trial pass before they join Equinox.
- Equinox member contracts are usually 12 months; members can cancel within three days of joining without consequences.
- Members have to pay at least $100 to cancel their Equinox membership.
- Members must give the club at least 45 days’ notice before cancelling their membership.
- Members can freeze their membership for a minimum of 30 days and a limit of 90 days.
- Personal training sessions with trainers in lower tier ranking starts at $100 per hour and goes higher for higher ranked trainers.
- The Tier X personal training program starts at $2,000 for a three-month program, with a five-hour assessment that costs about $150 per hour.
- Equinox ended the third quarter of 2021 with 232 thousand members, almost 30% down from year-end 2019.
Equinox Revenue Statistics
- Before the pandemic, Equinox membership dues generated over $1 billion annually.
- In 2020, Equinox was carrying over $1.1 billion in debt.
- Equinox secured $255 million in new bankrolling commitments from its lenders to boost liquidity.
- According to Bloomberg, Equinox Holdings ended its merger discussions with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), Social Capital Hedosophia Holdings Corp. VI, in 2021.
- In 2020, Equinox had $650 million in revenue and a loss of $350 million due to the temporary closures caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
- In 2021, Equinox’s peak revenue was over $8 billion.
- At the end of June 2022, Equinox generated over $8 million in earnings before taxes and interest.
- Equinox plans to raise over $300M for renewed IPO bid.
- The health club market share is predicted to increase by over $100 billion in 2025.
- Are the Equinox trainers certified?
Equinox has a personal training institute called Equinox Fitness Training Institute (ETFI), and trainers must take courses to be certified. They are ranked using the five tiers based on their education at EFTI. The Tier 1 trainers must complete at least 70 hours of coursework at EFTI. The Tier X is the highest personal training tier, and Tier X-ranked trainers must have degrees in Kinesiology and have completed at least 270 hours of coursework at EFTI.
- How much is Equinox currently worth?
Pre-pandemic, Equinox received an annual revenue of about $1 billion, but the covid-19 pandemic caused the company to lose $350 million. Even though the SPAC deal didn’t fall through, Equinox is worth over $7 billion.
- How much do I pay to access the Equinox + app?
The Equinox + app charges a monthly fee of $39.99.
- What do I get with the Equinox + application?
The Equinox+ app is a health and fitness application that offers access to different live and on-demand classes from different brands like HeadStrong, Pure Yoga, SoulCycle, and Precision Run. It is available on Google Play Store and App Store, and you can access the live streams on your mobile devices, web, Apple TV, Google TV, and Fire TV.
- Is the Equinox app free for Equinox members?
Equinox members get access to the numerous on-demand classes on the app, but they have to pay the monthly application fee.
- How many locations does Equinox have?
Equinox has over 100 clubs in the major US, London, and Canadian cities.
- What is the difference between Equinox and E by Equinox?
E by Equinox is a more exclusive Equinox health club, and unlike Equinox clubs, membership costs over $1000. E by Equinox offers its members a more personalized experience.
- When was E by Equinox founded?
The first E by Equinox location opened in 2017 in St James, London. Before this standalone location, E by Equinox was included within some Equinox clubs, like its Equinox Sports Club San Francisco and Equinox Columbus Circle club.
- How much does a membership cost?
The cost of an Equinox membership depends on the location and the number of clubs you want to have access to. But, Equinox members pay at least $100 per month regardless of the location, and the costs go as high as $500 per month.