- Butter is natural whereas margarines are man made.
- Butter is high in calories and saturated fat at typically around 75 kcal and 5g of saturated fat/10g serving.
- Margarine spreads can be over 50% lower in kcals and saturated fat, as low as 19kcal and 0.4g of saturated fat/10g spread.
- Margarines often contain trans-fats which are created from the process of hydrogenation and are now considered to be more harmful to health than saturated fat.
- Arguably, many say butter tastes better!
- Some margarines can be fortified with functional ingredients promoting health such as plant sterols which may help reduce cholesterol
- Butter is a natural source of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K
- Margarines MUST be fortified with vitamins A and D and Spreads may be fortified but don’t have to be.
- Margarine is often free from animal fats
So what will you be putting on your toast in the morning?