If you are a fitness buff, I’m sure you must have heard of Peloton.
If not, don’t worry; this article has got you covered with all the information you need about this fitness company.
Peloton launched its first product in 2014 – a connected stationary exercise bike that provided on-demand fitness class access, and it has grown tremendously since then.
This at-home fitness provider now has over 2 million connected subscribers, with the pandemic aiding in its major market traction as more people opted for at-home fitness.
In 2021, they introduced the Peloton Tread, a smart treadmill for their users. Despite the varying mishaps associated with this new product, the company is still growing strong as customer satisfaction, and retention remains high.
Plus, Peloton remains the largest interactive fitness platform worldwide.
Let’s look at some of the statistics associated with this company, shall we?
Key Peloton Statistics and Numbers
- Peloton has over 5 million members on the platform.
- Peloton started on Kickstarter and was able to raise more than its $250,000 goal.
- Peloton has sold over 400,000 bikes.
- 23,000 is the largest turnout for a live fitness class to date, and Robin Arzon instructed it on April 22, 2020.
- Peloton offers about 48 live classes every day.
- Peloton achieved a Unicorn valuation in 2017 and IPO in 2019.
- Members and subscribers can choose between 48 live classes and 10,000 on-demand classes.
- There are over 70 Peloton showrooms in Canada and the US.
Peloton Revenue Statistics
- Peloton’s annual revenue in 2021 was $4.021billion, over a 100% increase from its revenue in 2020 — $1.625 billion.
- Peloton’s annual net loss for the 2021 fiscal year was $189 million, while for 2020, it was $71.6 million.
- Peloton’s subscription revenue in 2021 was $872.2 million, while its product revenue was $3.15 billion.
- Peloton’s 2022 quarterly revenue is over $937 million, a 23% drop from the previous year.
- During the last year, Peloton’s quarterly revenue grew by over 50%, from $607.1 million.
- 2% of Peloton’s revenue comes from its apparel business, which had 20 million sales in 2020.
Peloton Subscriber and Member Statistics
- One Peloton subscriber completes an average of 22 workouts monthly, a 19.43% decrease from the previous year.
- Subscriber engagements with Peloton workouts have doubled in growth over the last four fiscal years.
- Peloton has approximately 6 million worldwide subscribers.
- 90% of members keep their membership for more than one year.
- New Peloton membership has grown an average by over 500,000 since September 2019.
- The number of Peloton members in March 2020 and March 2021 was 2.6 million and 5.4 million, respectively.
- Peloton members compete in over 130 million workouts every quarter.
- The Peloton brand’s connected fitness service has over 2 million members.
- Between June 2020 and June 2021, Peloton added 1.24 million new connected fitness subscribers, accounting for over 25% of the total connected fitness subscriber base.
- There are more than 800,000 digital-only members on Peloton, a 176% year-over-year increase from June 2020.
- Over the last four quarters, Peloton added over 550,000 new digital memberships—March 2019 with 107,700 subscribers, March 2020 with 176,000 subscribers, and March 2021 with 891,000 subscribers.
- The number of active fitness subscribers on Peloton has increased by 12% since 2021 – going from 2.08 million to 2.33 million.
Peloton Workout Statistics
- The total number of workouts in FY 2019 was 55 million workouts.
- Over 149 million workouts were completed in March 2021.
- The annual workouts completed on Peloton worldwide in 2021 was 459.7 million workouts.
- Over 130 million workouts are completed quarterly on Peloton.
- Since March 2021, quarterly workouts have decreased by approximately 10%.
- In 2017, over 90% of workouts in Peloton were cycling-related, but alternative disciples are growing in popularity.
- Cycling makes up over 50% of the workouts on Peloton, making it the most popular type of activity among connected fitness subscribers.
- Strength is the second most popular fitness category, accounting for 18%, and it is followed by floor (11%), Yoga (8%), running (8%), and outdoor (2%).
- The number of quarterly workouts in the Peloton digital fitness platform has grown 1.75 times over the last year.
- Cycling accounts for 36% of all completed workouts for digital subscribers – these are subscribers who do not own any Peloton hardware.
Peloton Content Statistics
- Users must pay $12.99 via the app or $39.99 to access the Peloton library.
- There are eleven fitness disciplines in Peloton’s library, with 8 of these disciplines added within the last five years.
- The recently added disciplines are Cardio, Yoga & Meditation, Tread (Running, Boot camp, Walking, Scenic), Outdoor Running & Walking, Outdoor Stretching & Boot camp Audio Only Meditation, and Dance Cardio.
- Peloton launched the cycling workout in January 2014 and followed in with Scenic Cycling in March 2014.
- Dance Cardio, which was launched in March 2020, is the latest workout concept on Peloton.
- Peloton introduced the ‘Tags’ feature in April 2020, enabling subscribers to create custom tags and interact with other users.
- Peloton members have created over 100,000 tags since tags were introduced.
- Over 700,000 Peloton members include at least one tag in their profile account.
- Peloton Artist Series is the latest addition to Peloton’s library, where workouts are built around famous artists and their music.
- Over 70 artists have been featured in the Peloton Artist Series.
- Over 3.5 million Artist Series classes took place during Q4 2020.
- One million people completed workouts featuring Beyoncé’s music in one quarter.
- Peloton has the largest global audio catalog with 2 million songs under license.
- A Peloton Guide costs $495.
Peloton Instructor and Employee Statistics
- Peloton has over 7,000 employees working across six countries, including Australia, Canada, Germany, Taiwan, the UK, and the US.
- There are over 1,500 employees in the US, 135 in Canada, 160 in Taiwan, and 828 in Germany, Australia, and the United Kingdom.
- Over 50 instructors on the Peloton service teach across different disciplines.
- Thirty-nine instructors teach strength, nine teach Yoga, 16 teach cardio, 7 teach meditation, 22 teach running, 14 teach outdoor, 25 teach cycling, 42 teach stretching, 11 teach tread Bootcamp, 5 teach bike bootcamp, and 21 teach walking.
- Peloton instructors have a combined following of over 9 million on Instagram.
- Twenty-nine of the active Peloton instructors have over 100,000 Instagram followers.
- Cody Rigsby has the highest Instagram follower count of 971,000, followed by Robin Arzon with 871,000, and Ally Love with 790,000.
- Peloton employees earn an average salary of $119,337 annually, while employees on H-1B visas earn a median salary of $152,500.
Peloton User Demographic Statistics
- Two-thirds (66%) of the Peloton bike users in the US are between the ages of 25 to 44.
- The smallest percentage of Peloton bike users are in the age groups 65+ (2%) and 18-24 (2%).
- 30% of Peloton bike users are between the ages of 45 and 64.
- Over 60% of US Peloton bike users have an income bracket of $50k to $150k, while 21% have an income of over $200k.
- Only 9% of US Peloton bike users have a household income bracket of $150k to $200k.
- In 2021, 49% of Peloton users were female, while 43% were male.
When did Peloton launch?
Peloton launched in January 2012, but they introduced their first service – a connected stationary exercise bike that provided on-demand fitness class access, in 2014.
What was the largest turnout for a Peloton online class?
The largest turnout to a Peloton live class was in April 2020, when 23,000 members tuned into Robin Arzon’s class.
How many instructors work for Peloton?
Peloton employs 51 instructors, and they all take part in varying disciplines ranging from cardio to Yoga, strength, meditation, outdoors, walking, and others.
How much do Peloton instructors make?
Depending on their range and popularity, Peloton instructors make between six figures to more than half a million dollars.
What is the most popular Peloton workout?
Cycling is the most popular workout on Peloton for both digital fitness subscribers and connected subscribers. It accounts for over 50% of all workouts on the platform.
How does Peloton create revenue?
Peloton has three major revenue sources; connected fitness products, apparel, and subscriptions.
How vast is the Peloton music library?
There are 2 million songs under license available on the Peloton content library, making it the largest global audio fitness catalog.
How many members does Peloton have?
Members are individuals that have a Peloton account, and there are 5.9 million members on the platform.
What percentage of people make use of their Peloton subscription?
Peloton has over 2 million connected fitness subscribers, with an annual retention rate of more than 90%.
How many user profiles does a Peloton bike have?
Peloton bikes now have up to 20 user profiles with complete access to the classes, features, and content.
Which demographic uses Peloton the most?
Users under the age of 35 are the fastest growing Peloton demographic.