If you are a fitness buff or an avid gym goer, I’m sure you must have heard of Gymshark. Almost every fitness influencer has featured one or more Gymshark fitness wear on their social media accounts. Besides, this fitness apparel company is so popular across different countries in the world it has earned its place in history.
Even though Gymshark is only a decade old, it has become a major global player in the athletic apparel market, holding its own with popular names like Adidas, Champion, and Nike.
This article will provide you with Gymshark statistics that you need to know, from sales to revenue, growth, and others. So, let’s get right to it, shall we?
General Gymshark Statistics
- Gymshark was founded in the UK in 2012 by a then-19-year-old, Ben Francis, and his high-school friends.
- Gymshark initially sold vitamins and supplements before delving into fitness apparel in 2013.
- The first set of Gymshark apparel, which consisted of gym vests and t-shirts, was sewn by Francis, his brother, and friends.
- Gymshark was an early adopter of influencer marketing, using prominent fitness YouTubers and athletes to organically market their gear.
- Gymshark website suffered a website outage in 2013 on Black Friday.
- Francis is the owner and Founder of Gymshark but not the CEO, and he has a net worth of about £900 million.
- Gymshark headquarters is in Solihull, southwest England.
- Gymshark has a combined audience of over 60 million followers.
- Gymshark opened its North American Headquarters in 2021 in Denver, Colorado.
Gymshark Adoption and Growth Statistics
- Gymshark had no physical stores until October 2022, when it opened its first store in London.
- Gymshark signed a lease worth £12.9 million for the Regent Street space.
- Gymshark ships to 180 countries using its website in 13 languages.
- Over 2 million customers worldwide use Gymshark fitness wear.
- Gymshark has a reach of more than 20 million due to influencer marketing.
- Gymshark’s new customer count increased by over 1.5 in Q2 2020 compared to Q1 2018.
- Gymshark had its most significant growth in Q2 2017.
- Gymshark uses pop-up stores in different countries to bring traffic and sales.
Gymshark Social Statistics
- Gymshark owns three different Instagram accounts with a total of over 9 million followers.
- Gymsharktrain, where you can find daily training videos, has 1 million followers.
- Gymshark, which is the main account, has 5.8 million followers.
- Gymsharkwomen has 3.2 million followers.
- On Facebook, Gymshark has over 1.9 million fans.
- On TikTok, Gymshark has over 3 million followers.
- Gymshark’s website has a bounce rate of over 35%.
- Most of Gymshark’s website traffic is from the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, and Germany.
Gymshark Demographic Statistics
- The Gymshark brand was initially aimed at men.
- In 2020, about two-thirds of Gymshark’s sales were from women.
- Gymshark’s target market is 18 to 25 years old, but they also have consumers between the ages of 35 to 44 years.
- The US is Gymshark’s biggest market outside the UK, even though the brand accounts for 0.6% of the US fitness market.
- The United States has the largest market in the global fitness wear industry.
Gymshark Valuation Statistics
- In 2020, Gymshark was reportedly valued at $1.3 billion by Forbes after acquiring investment from General Atlantic.
- In 2020, Gymshark became the second British company since 2002 to get over 1 billion pounds valuation without any previous investment.
- General Atlantic has over a 20% stake in Gymshark following their deal in 2020.
- Gymshark’s net worth has grown rapidly from $108 thousand in 2013, $1.5 million in 2014, $2.5 million in 2015, $3.4 million in 2016, and $11.8 million in 2017.
- Gymshark’s current valuation is $1.4 billion.
Gymshark Product Statistics
- Gymshark offers its customers its own gym workout app.
- Gymshark launched in the US market in July 2021.
Gymshark Employee Statistics
- Gymshark has over 1000 employees.
- Gymshark’s brand headquarters houses about 500 team members.
- Gymshark’s US office has over 100 employees.
- Gymshark’s employee count increased by over 50% last year.
Gymshark Competitor’s Statistics
- Lululemon was the market leader in 2019, with over 50% share of sales, followed by Athleta with 26%, Fabletics with 14%, Gymshark with 3%, and Sweaty Betty with under 1%.
- During the Covid-19 pandemic, Sweaty Betty saw the highest growth with 54% in Q1 2020 and 38% in Q2 2020, compared to Gymshark, which saw a 4% growth in Q1 2020 and a 33% growth in Q2 2020.
- Compared to its competitors, Gymshark has a lower annual customer retention rate.
- Only about 28% of Gymshark customers return after their first purchase, compared to 48% of Fabletics customers and 33% of Lululemon customers.
- Fabletics offers its customers a subscription model, which aids its customer retention rate.
- The employee growth for Fabletics is 53%, Nike 7%, Sweaty Betty 23%, and AYBL 93%.
- Fabletics’ revenue was $353 million compared to Sweaty Betty, Under Armor, and Nike, with revenue of $248.2 million, $5560 million, and $46,310 million, respectively.
- Compared to Gymshark, which has a valuation of $1.4 billion, Nike and Under Armor have valuations of $234.3 billion and $8.4 billion, respectively.
- Nike and Adidas have the highest sales revenue compared to other activewear brands in the US.
Gymshark Sales and Revenue Statistics
- Within two years of Gymshark’s launch, it has annual revenue of close to £250,000.
- Gymshark’s revenue was about $50 million in 2017 and $128 million in 2018.
- Gymshark generated a turnover of about £261 million in 2020.
- Most of Gymshark’s revenue comes from new customer acquisitions.
- In 2019, new customers were responsible for over 50% of Gymshark’s quarterly sales.
- Gymshark reports an over 50% revenue increase in the year ending July 31, 2021.
- In 2021, the global sales achieved was £437.6 million.
- According to filings at Companies House, Gymshark made a net revenue of £401.9 million, from £260.7 million from the previous year.
- Global revenue in July 2022 reached £500 million, with North America responsible for 50% of the sales.
- The United Kingdom is responsible for total sales of £86.5 million while the rest of Europe contributed £84.4 million and the rest of the world contributed £48.2 million.
- Gymshark’s gross profit in 2017 was £29, 711, and it increased to £74,059 n 2018, $117,575 in 2019, and £176,991 in 2020.
- Gymshark’s profit before tax increased from £30.4 million the previous year to £45.4 million.
- International sales were up over 40% in the year ending July 2021.
- Gymshark’s estimated revenue per employee is over $300,000.
- Gymshark generated about £39 million from intercompany sales.
- The activewear industry is predicted to generate over $95 billion by 2025.
Frequently Asked Questions
When was Gymshark launched?
Gymshark was launched in 2012 by Ben Francis and his friends in Birmingham, UK.
When did Gymshark start fitness apparel?
Gymshark started as a drop shipping company that sold vitamins and supplements using the dropshipping model. In 2013 after learning how to sew from his grandmother, Francis and his friends sewed and labeled the first set of Gymshark fitness apparel, which consisted of gym vests and t-shirts. Plus, they did this from his parent’s garage.
Does Gymshark have a physical store?
Gymshark services over 150 countries on its website, and the brand just recently acquired a retail storefront in Regent Street, London. The physical store is set to be open in October 2022.
How many employees does Gymshark have?
Gymshark currently has over 1,000 employees between their UK and newly acquired US headquarters.
What is the secret behind Gymshark’s success?
Influencer marketing and community are the secrets behind Gymshark’s success. Gymshark started its marketing by sending influencers fitness apparel for free to many people wanting to become Gymshark ambassadors and athletes. Gymshark uses social media, from Instagram to YouTube and TikTok, to organically market its products using influencers.
How much is Gymshark worth?
After General Atlantic acquired a 21% stake in Gymshark, the company is now worth over a billion dollars.
How many followers does Gymshark have?
Gymshark currently has over 9 million followers on Instagram, 3 million followers on TikTok, and 1.9 million followers on Facebook.
How Many Customers Does Gymshark have?
Gymshark has more than 10 million global customers in over 200 countries across its different online stores. Gymshark has 14 online stores with over ten languages to cater to its customers.