Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour 5 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 15g butter
- 350g leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500g King Edward potatoes, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium swede, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 6–8 fresh bay leaves
- 150ml whipping cream
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Melt the oil and butter together in a frying pan and add the leek and garlic. Cook gently for 5 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Combine the leek mixture, potatoes and swede in a buttered 1.5 litre shallow ovenproof dish and season, layering in the bay leaves as you go. Mix the cream and milk together and pour over the vegetables.
- Bake for 1 hour until the vegetables are tender and the top golden. Cover with foil if the gratin browns too much. Serve with a salad or steamed broccoli.
Tip - Use shredded kale or shredded Savoy cabbages an alternative to leek.