Try swapping parsnips for other vegetables and other herbs and spices. Go vegan with coconut milk in place of cream.
Preparation time 15 mins
Cooking time 40 mins
- 700g-1kg parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon
- A few glugs of olive oil
- 1 large onion or 2 leeks, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- A pinch of chilli powder, or freshly chopped red chilli
- 500g veg or chicken stock, warmed
- 125g mascarpone, cream or creme fraiche
- 2-3 handfuls of freshly grated Parmesan
- 2-3 rosemary sprigs, leaves finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
- Toss your parsnips with a little lemon juice to stop them browning and to add flavour.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add a glug of oil, the onion and parsnips. Season well. Cook till soft and picking up a golden tinge – don’t cook too quickly. Add the garlic and chilli.
- Almost cover the parsnips with stock, but not quite. Crank the heat back up. Let it bubble and reduce a bit.
- Lower heat. Swirl in the cream, a good handful of Parmesan and the rosemary. Taste. Adjust seasoning.
- Add more Parmesan or mascarpone, if needed.
- Tumble into an oven-proof dish. Top with a good dusting of Parmesan and pepper.
- Bake for 20 mins, or till golden on top.
Recipe from Abel & Cole.