Quinoa Pilaf with Spinach, Feta and Almonds
A delicious light lunch or supper which is gluten free, low in lactose and brimming with energy boosting and skin friendly nutrients.
- 30 ml olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150 gm quinoa
- 500 ml water
- 3 large handfuls of baby spinach
- a handful each of coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, mint and coriander
- 1 baby fennel bulb thinly sliced on a mandolin
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- A handful of coarsely chopped almonds (toast them with a little soya sauce, cayenne and lime zest for extra flavour before adding them to the salad)
- Crumbled feta, to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (about 5 minutes). While the onion is cooking, rinse the quinoa thoroughly, then add to the pan with the filtered water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until tender and fluffy (about 20 minutes). Drain off any excess water and season to taste. You can cool it at this point if you want to serve it as a salad, otherwise, stir through spinach, herbs, fennel, lemon juice and almonds and serve topped with crumbled feta.