Red Cabbage with Pomegranate
All the reds in one dish – red cabbage (which is really purple), red onions (which are kind of white) and pomegranate seeds (which really are red). Perfect to go with your Christmas feast!
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
- Red cabbage
- Red onions
- Demerara sugar
- Red wine vinegar
- Halve and quarter the cabbage. Slice out the thick, hard core. Peel off the torn outer leaves. Finely slice the cabbage. Pop it into a colander and give it a good rinse.
- Peel and finely slice the onion. Peel the apples. Quarter them. Slice out the cores and seeds. Finely chop the apples.
- Stir the sugar and red wine vinegar together for a min or two to start dissolving the sugar.
- Pop a third of the cabbage in the bottom of a large casserole dish or heavy-based pan. Top with half the onion and apples. Season.
- Top with another third of the cabbage, then the rest of the onion and apples. Season and top with the rest of the cabbage.
- Pour in the sugar and vinegar mixture. Pop on a lid. Bring to the boil. Once it’s boiling, turn the heat to low. Simmer for 1 hr till the cabbage is tender but not mushy.
- While the cabbage is cooking, quarter the pomegranate. Pull the seeds out from the skin. Pop them off the white membranes. Rinse and pat dry the sprigs of dill. Finely chop the feathery leaves.
- Taste the cabbage and adjust the seasoning. Spoon into a serving dish. Top with the dill and pomegranate to serve.
If you have a favourite recipe that you would like us to feature please email firstname.lastname@example.org